My goodness, but this winter is dragging on. JM and I have done a pretty good job of late kicking up the new around here in an attempt to patch ourselves through to some warmer weather, and for my part, to make the most of this here radical sabbatical. To wit:
- On Saturday we rode to Indy with our friends to taste some beer and eat some yummy food at a place we've never been before. Heck, we never go to Indianapolis, only through it. So that in itself was new.
- Last week I ordered some xc skis via ebay and they came the day before we got a few inches of snow so that my (sweaty!) workout that day was swishing all around the neighborhood on my new skis, just to figure things out. My arms were sore for a few days after that, but yeah, this place was made for cross country skiing.
- I've been trying out some new Indian and Thai recipes. Last week was chicken with chilis and onions served with curried cauliflower as a side (both from an Indian cookbook given to us by E!), and tonight I made spicy Thai chicken with rice.
- Over the weekend, I ordered a new pair of stripy spring pants in anticipation of wearing something besides wool or fleece someday. We'll see about that.
- Cheeky prof's query about feed aggregators led me to finally set up google reader. I know I'm late to this game, but damn, it does make a difference.
- I've also been reading for that new article and thinking about starting to read stuff for another new (and bigger) study. But having put that Burke book to bed (or at least down for a nap), I'm definitely more interested in alternative forms of the new at the moment.
- After listening to a PRI story Josh recommended about voice in politics that features extensive commentary by a vocal trainer, I looked into vocal trainers in Chicago and I think I'm going to make an appointment to learn some vocal techniques. I don't really care about developing a better voice--though I'm sure I could stand to--but I am totally interested in the teaching techniques and the way a good portion of the body must get involved.
So yeah, go new!